Vermont Ghost Towns

  • Avery's Gore - Located in Essex County, this community was near Island Pond. It was disenfranchised in 1963.

  • Caledonia Spring House - Located in Caledonia County, the exact location of this resort community is unidentified.

  • Chimney Point Tavern - Located in Addison County, this community began as an outpost established by Jacobus de Warm in 1690. Lasting only a few year, the French rebuilt it in 1730 renaming it Fort de Pieux. In 1759, it was abandoned to the British. Today it is a museum and interpretive center.

  • Fort Ste Anne - Located in Grand Isle County, this community grew up around Fort Ste Anne, which was built in 1666. In 1670, the fort and the town were burned by the Mohawks.

  • Glastenbury - Located in Bennington County, this community was on the Appalachian Trail. What remains is cellar holes and rubble. It was initially a farming community and charcoal community. Due to the high elevation, farm crops didn't grow well, but made an adequate area for raising sheep. Maple trees were tapped for syrup and other trees were harvested for charcoal. Community was chartered in 1761 and by 1880, there were almost 250 people. Once all the trees were harvested, the charcoal industry died out at this location. At it's height, there was a hotel, charcoal kilns and a railroad line. The community was officially disbanded in 1937.

  • Keenes Corner - Location unknown. No further information available

  • Mosquitoville - Located in Caledonia County, this former farming community is now overgrown cellar holes and rubble.

  • North Pomfret - Located in Windsor County, all that remains of this former community is the mill foundations and a dam.

  • Plymouth Five Corners - Located in Windsor County, near Plymouth, this small farming village became a thriving mining town in 1855. A gold miner returning from the California gold mining rush panned for and found gold in Reading Pound Brook. Despite his attempt at secrecy, the rush was on and people came from all over to Reading Pound, Broad and Buffalo Brooks. The small hamlet grew to include a gold mill and crusher, and a couple of hotels. After four years, the focus turned from gold to the tensions between the North and South and the thriving community faded away. Little remains to mark the area.

  • Plymouth Union - Located in Windsor County, this post village boasted two chair stretcher factories, a Methodist church, two hotels, mechanic shops, stores, and the Vermont Liberal Institute by 1884. Now it is merely a rural community along the Black River in the western part of Plymouth.

  • Ricker Basin - Located in Washington County, this milling community first began in 1783. At its height, it had homes, a church, school, three grist mills. In the 1960s, any remaining buildings were torn down and all that remains today is foundations and cellar holes. This town is now located in a high basin near the Waterbury Reservoir in Little River State Park.

  • Rooks Mine - Located in Windsor County, this mining community began after Plymouth Five Corners was fading away. A group of miners traced placer gold in Buffalo Creek to its source high on a slope above the creek. In 1882, the Rooks Mining Company organized and the community began. In 1884, the mine was producing $50/ton ore. But by 1887, the mine was bankrupt and the community dwindled away.

  • Somerset - Located in Windham County, the farming community has few inhabitants and is located near Somerset Reservoir.

  • Tyson - Located in Windsor County at the south end of Echo Lake, this community was also known as Tyson Furnace. In 1884, it was home to a blacksmith, boarding house, cheese factory, several mills, harness maker, hotel, two physicians, post office, public hall, school house, and a store, with a population of just under 100. Today, the still-operating Echo Lake Inn survives, but it is a mere shadow of its former glory.

  • Vershire Copper Mine - Located in Orange County, it is also known as Copperfield. In the 1880s it was a producing Copper Mine, but today there are stone walls and ruins from the town and smelter.

  • Return to Home Page

    © 2013 - Present Ancestral Trackers & Jeanne Hicks This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated without consent. All rights reserved. Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited. The copyright(s) ©Ancestral Trackers, on this page must appear on all copied and/or printed material - when used with the permission of host.