|Bald Head Light||Bald Head Island||100-ft round octogonal brick house. Replica keeper's house on site. Oil house still standing.||1789||1930|
|Bodie Island Light||North of Oregon Inlet||160-ft round brick tower attached to a single story brick oil house. Original keeper's house is present ranger and visitor's center.||1872|| |
|Cape Fear Light||Mouth of Cape Fear||150-ft pyramid skeletal lighthouse, demolished in 1958. Concrete pad remains. Also known as Captain Charlie's Station, named for the long-time keeper Charlie Swan.||1903||1958|
|Cape Hatteras Light||North of Cape Point|| ||1870|| |
|Cape Lookout Light||Core Banks||1859|| |
|Croatan Shoal Light||Between Croatan and Albemarle Sound||1887|| |
|Currituck Beach Light||Near Corolla|| ||1875|| |
|Diamond Shoal Light||Southeast of Buxton|| ||1966||2001|
|Federal Point Light||Kure Beach||1866||1879||No Image Available|
|Frying Pan Shoals Light||Southeast of Southport||1966||2003|
|Hatteras Beacon Light||Near Buxton||1855||1898|
|Laurel Point Light||Laurel Point||A hexagon screwpile light that marked the narrowing of Albemarle Sound. After cottage was removed, the light was on top of a skeleton tower on the platform. The light has since been moved to a different skeleton tower a mile northeast.||1880||1950|
|Long Point Beacon Light||Currituck Sound|| ||1901|| |
|Neuse River Light||Piney Point||1862|| |
|Oak Island Light||Oak Island||1958|| |
|Ocracoke Island Light||Ocracoke Island|| ||1823|| |
|Pamlico Point Shoal Light||Pamlico Point|| ||1891|| |
|Price Creek River Light||Near Southport|| ||1848||mid 1860s|
|Roanoke Marshes Light||Pamlico and Croatan Sound|| ||1877||1955|
|Roanoke River Light||Albemarle Sound||There has been a lighthouse on the western end of Albemarle Sound at the mouth of the Roanoke River from 1835 to 1955. The original beacon was a lightship in 1835. In 1885, this was replaced with a lighthouse, which was destroyed in 1866 by an ice storm. A replica of this lighthouse is located in the town of Plymouth and is now the Roanoke River Lighthouse and Maritime Museum. In 1887, A two-story keeper's house with a square cylindrical light was built. This light was deactivated in 1941 and moved into Edenton in 1955. It became Emmett Wiggins home. In 1995, Wiggins died and the building remained vacant and deteriorating. The Edenton Historical Commission bought the building in 2007 and now operate it as a Historical Site.||1835||1941|
|Wade Point Light||Pasquotank River||1899|| |
Extending 10 miles southeasterly from Cape Hatteras, these shoals are five miles wide with depths of less than 20 feet. They are constantly changing, and the seas
surrounding them are very turbulent. To a large extent this is due to the merging of the cold water of the southward flowing Labrador Current with the warm water of
the northward flowing Gulf Stream which occurs off the cape.
Ships are guided around the shoals by the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and the Diamond Shoals Light, a tower built in 1967 after several attempts to complete it failed.
The light is unmanned and has steel legs which have been driven over 100 feet into the ocean floor. Prior to this, mariners depended upon the Diamond Shoals Lightship
to warn them of the shoals.
This entire area is called the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" because over 600 ships are known to have gone down here, often driven onto the shoals or the beach during
storms and hurricanes.
The Lifesaving Service:
During the 1870's, the US Lifesaving Service was established by Congress to reduce the loss of life from shipwrecks.
Return to North Carolina Home
On the Outer Banks, the service consisted of 25 stations, built every 10 miles or so along the barrier islands. Each station was manned by a crew of experienced
surfmen who lived at their station while on duty. Day and night, they patrolled their assigned stretches of beach on horseback looking for ships in distress. When a
foundering ship was sighted, the crew went to its rescue regardless of the weather. If they were unable to shoot a line to the ship, They launched their surfboats and
rowed through raging seas to rescue the stranded crews. The surfman's unofficial motto was "you have to go out. You don't have to come back."
In 1915, the Lifesaving service was combined with the Revenue Cutter Service to form the United States Coast Guard.
© 2013 - Present Ancestral Trackers & Jeanne Hicks This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated without consent. All rights reserved. Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited. The copyright(s) © Ancestral Trackers, on this page must appear on all copied and/or printed material - when used with the permission of host.