North Carolina's Forts



Camp AlamanceConfederate camp on the site of the Revolutionary War Alamance battlefield.
Fort AllenLocated near Johnsons Point, this was an incomplete two-gun Confederate fort.
Camp AmoryPart of the Union Civil War Defenses of New Bern, was located adjacent to Fort Amory on the Trent River.
Fort AmoryLocated south of New Bern across the Trent River. Portions of the ramparts and ditch are still visible.
Battery AndersonAlso called Flag Pond Battery, this battery was located along the shore north of Fort Fisher, as part of the Wilmington Defenses during the Civil War.
Camp AndersonConfederate training camp located near Garysburg.
Fort Anderson
During the Civil War, it was built on the ruins of Brunswick Town as Fort St Philip, it was renamed Fort Anderson. The Confederacy held the fort until a month after Fort Fisher fell. Earthworks still remain. For more information click here
Union fort located across Neuse River from New Bern, north of Fort Dutton. Attacked by Confederates in 1863.
Camp AndrewsA Union Camp on a former Confederate Camp near New Bern in 1862.
AquascogocLocated near Belhaven it is supposed, this palisaded Native American village was attacked by colonists led by Sir Richard Grenville over a stolen silver cup about 1585.
Camp ArgyleLocated somewhere in the vicinity of Morehead City, this was a Confederate camp used from Oct to Dec 1861.
Camp AsheA Confederate camp on Topail Sound.
Asheville ArmoryA commercial armory that was taken over by the Confederates in 1862. Equipment transferred to Columbia, SC in 1863. Union forces destroyed building in 1865.
Fort AstorConfederate defense built south of New Bern on the north side of the Trent River.
Battery Atlantic BeachA four-gun battery, two plus miles from Atlantic Beach, south of Camp Glenn in Morehead City. Part of the World War II Harbor Defenses of Beaufort Inlet.
Averasboro EarthworksConfederate earthen fortifications located south of Averasboro. Battle in Mar 1865.
Camp Badger1861 - 1865 Confederate camp located in Raleigh.
Another Camp Badger was located near Wilmington.
Camp BakerA Confederate post located near Fort Branch.
Confederate camp near Greenville attacked by Union in Nov 1863.
Ballast Point BatteryConfederate fort on Roanoke Island protecting Shallowbag Bay. Called Fort Ellis by Union. After capture it was rebuilt and renamed Fort Monteil.
Fort BarnwellThe fort was built by South Carolinian forces led by Colonel John Barnwell (also known as Tuscarora Jack) during the Tuscarora War. This fort was built in preparation for a battle against Chief Hancock's home of Catechna (Cotechney). Two battles were fought there. The first battle on 27 Feb 1712 resulted in a decision by Barnwell's forces to quit fighting because the captives were being tortured during the assaults on the fort. The second battle on 7 Apr resulted in the Tuscarora surrendering on generous terms. The remains are two miles northwest of the town of Fort Barnwell on the Cotechney Creek at the Neuse River. It is about thirty miles from New Bern.
Fort BartowLocated on Pork Point on Roanoke Island, this was a Confederate Fort. Renamed Fort Foster by the Union.
Bath Town FortAn important colonial town and port, a hill fort and shore battery may have been located here. First North Carolina colonial shipyard was established here in 1707. The town was at the center of Cary's Rebellion. The fort was a major refugee center during the Tuscarora War.
Camp BattleOn the site of a 1930s Civilian Conservation Corps Campsite, a World War II artillery battalion base camp, with several gun positions guaring bridges over Neuse and Trent Rivers.
Beacon Island FortThe remains of Fort Granville were used as the foundation for Beacon Island Fort in 1794 and a blockhouse was built in 1795. This fort was used through the War of 1812, then abandoned.
Bear Island FortA wooden colonial fort, since eroded into the sea, built by militia to protect against Spanish attacks. Located in Bear Inlet, now Hammocks Beach State Park.
Camp Beauregard1861 Confederate camp near Ridgeway.
Camp Beech GroveA Union cavalry camp located west of New Bern. Site of present-day Beech Grove Church. Also known as Grove Camp.
Camp BelvidereA Confederate camp located on Allen Creek near the ruins of Brunswick Town.
Camp BenbowA Confederate camp located near Battery Lamb at Reeve's Point.
Fort BenjaminSouthern redoubt to Newport Barracks built by the Union forces after they capture in Apr 1862. Also known as Fort Ripley.
BethabaraMoravian settlement built in 1753 near present-day Winston-Salem. Stokaded with two forts to protect settlers against Cherokee and serve as a staging point for the Catawbas, British allies. Never directly attacked.
Camp BlackjackConfederate camp located east of Kinston near Graingers from 1862 - 1865.
Fort BlanchardConfederate fort located on Roanoke Island. Renamed Fort Parke by the Union.
Blowing Rock FortA Union palisaded fort built after Stoneman's Raid to guard the pass.
Bogue Sound BlockhouseUnion blockhouse near Bogue Landing. Confederates attacked as part of strategy to recapture New Bern in Feb 1864. Last of the earthworks were destroyed when a housing development was built in 1990s.
Battery BollesSee Fort Fisher
Boone Court House FortDuring Stoneman's Raid, the Union occupied and fortified the Boone Court House.
Boone's Mill EarthworksA Confederate two-gun battery located near Jackson. Some earthworks remain near the Boone's Millpond.
Camp Boylan1861 Confederate camp in Raleigh.
Boyles Mill RedoubtUnion defense of Plymouth located between Battery Worth and Fort Wessels. Union blew up defense during battle.
Camp BraggRegular army field artillery training camp began in 1918. Renamed Fort Bragg in 1922.
Fort BraggRegular army field artillery training post. Became an Airborne Training Center in 1942. Home of the 82nd Airborne Division.
Camp BranchConfederate camp located near Fort Ellis.
A World War II artillery training facility near Jacksonville. Balloon operations moved to Camp Tyson, Tennessee in 1942. Became a coastal defense shore patrol base camp for the 101st Calvary Recon Squadron in 1943 and 1944. During that time, those stationed here were responsible for patrolling from the Virginia border to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. In 1945, the Marine Corps Engineering School moved here.
Fort BranchA Confederate fort on the Roanoke River at Rainbow Banks. It was built to protect the Edward's Ferry shipyard and the rail bridge at Weldon from the Union after the Union took most of the North Carolina coast in 1862. It was named for Brigadier General Lawrence O'Brian Branch, who was killed at Sharpsburg 17 Sep 1862. It has some of the best preserved earthworks east of the Mississippi.
Fort BriceBuilt about 1711 by Captain William Brice at his plantation on the Trent River. It was one of eleven forts built to protect settlers during the Tuscarora War.
Fort BrownConfederate defensive position at New Bern.
Brunswick Town BatteryEarthworks built to protect Brunswick Town from Spanish attacks in 1748. Briefly used in 1862 while Fort St Philip was being built.
Camp Bryan GrimesA Spanish-American War assembly and mustering camp located at the State Fairgrounds in 1898.
Battery BuchananPart of the Wilmington Defenses/Fort Fisher during the Civil War. Remnants still remain.
Fort BuchananBegan as Battery Buchanan, a four-gun elliptical earthwork at the tip of Federal Point.
Fort BuffaloA blockhouse and earthworks built by local Union sympathizers on the Wingfield Plantation owned by secessionist Richard Dillard. Confederates destroyed fort. Also known as Fort Wingfield.
Camp BurgwynA Confederate Camp located across Smith Creek south of the airport.
Confederate camp located at Atlantic Beach.
Fort BurnsideA Union fort built after the Union captured Roanoke Island Feb 1862. Located near site of old Fort Raleigh.
Burnt Canebrake BlockhouseA fort on the French Broad River near Hot Springs used during the battles with the Cherokee and the Creeks in 1793.
Fort ButlerLocated in Murphy, was the headquarters of the Army's Eastern Division during the Cherokee Removal.
Camp CaldwellEstablished by Federal troops from Fort Johnston in 1871 in Robeson County when rounding up an outlaw gang.
Camp CameronA Confederate camp at Jacksonville.
Camp Campbell1861 Confederate camp near Kinston.
Fort CampbellConfederate earthworks located near Fort Caswell destroyed with Battery Shaw to prevent capture. Battery Shaw was located midway between Fort Caswell and Fort Campbell.
Also, another Fort Campbell was part of the Wilmington Defenses. Located south along the Cape Fear River, behind Fort French. Originally named Fort Gun Battery with five guns built in 1863.
Camp CanalConfederate camp in Morehead City.
Battery Cape HatterasDuring World War II, a safe anchorage for merchant ships was identified at Cape Hatteras and four gun mounts were planned for the location. Suitable high ground could not be located for the guns and the idea was scrapped. Navy Base at Ocracoke monitored the area.
Cape Lookout FortA colonial militia fort to prevent French vessels anchoring in Cape Lookout. The fort may never have been built, only suggested.
Castle Island BatteryA Union four-gun earthwork built to defend Washington.
Fort CaswellMasonry fort built between 1826 and 1838. Captured by the Confederacy in 1861. Partially destroyed by mine explosion during war and abandoned when Fort Fisher fell in 1865. Coastal defense batteries located on Oak Island in this area are Battery Bagley, Battery Caswell, Battery Swift, New Battery Madison, Battery McDonough, Battery Shipp, Battery Madison, Battery McKavett and New Battery McDonough. This post was a resort from 1937 to 1941, but during World War II the post became a Navy Section base and Army Deport. No active gun batteries were at this location during World War II. The fort is currently on private property owned by the North Carolina State Baptist Convention.
See Fort Lane.
CatechnaSee King Hancock's Fort.
Cathey's FortLocated near Woodlawn on the North Fork of the Catawba River, this settlers' fort was the staging point against the Cherokee in Sep 1776. About 150 militia were garrisoned here under Col Joseph McDowell. Later, the home was called William Wofford's Fort and used as such from 1782 to 1791. The Greenlee family purchased the home in 1791.
Cauchi BlockhouseSee Fort San Pablo.
Fort CerrisUnion forces built a three-gun earthwork manned by Navy sailors to defend Washington.
Fort ChaseA Confederate defense built in Bridgeton across the Neuse River from New Bern.
Camp ChronicleLocated in Gastonia, this served as a training post during World War I, with the firing range at the base of Crowder's Mountain.
Camp ClarendonConfederate training camp located near Garysburg.
Camp Clark1861 fortified Confederate camp located at Kittrell's Springs in Granville County.
Fort ClarkConfederate seven-gun square fort located at Hatteras Inlet. Union captured this fort and Fort Hatteras in Aug 1861.
Camp ClingmanA Confederate camp located in Asheville on French Broad Ave near Phillip St.
1862 Confederate camp near Goldsboro.
Fort CobbLocated in Elizabeth City on Cobb Point, this was a four-gun Confederate fort that was abandoned when Union forces approached in Apr 1862.
Camp Collier1862 Confederate camp near Goldsboro.
Colson's Supply DepotA 1781 fortified supply depot used to provision the Southern Continental Army located on Pee Dee River near Lake Tillery. Prior to fortification, in Jul 1780, Tories had raided it.
Battery ColumbiadSee Fort Fisher
Fort ComfortThree gun Union fort for the defense of Plymouth, located between Columbia Road and river. It was also known as Fort Conpher. Renamed to Fort Jones by Confederates.
Conaby RedoubtUnion redoubt located between Fort Williams and Fort Comfort at Plymouth.
Fort ConpherSee Fort Comfort.
Continental LaboratoryPatriot munitions factory and supply depot located southeast of Salisbury.
Camp Crabtree1861 Confederate camp on the Crabtree Plantation west of Raleigh.
Cumberland BatterySee Fort Fisher
Camp Dan RussellOriginally a Confederate general hospital, used as a Confederate Soldiers Home after Union occupation during Reconstruction.
Camp DanielConfederate camp near Kinston.
Davidson's FortLocated on Mill Creek near the town of Old Fort, this fortified home was built by Samuel Davidson. Davidson was killed in 1774. In 1776, the North Carolina militia used the fort in the war against the Cherokee. A replica of the fort is located on the south side of Old Fort. Also known as Fort Rutherford or Upper Fort.
Camp DavisOne Camp Davis was a Confederate Camp near Wilmington on Middle Sound.
Another Camp Davis was renamed from Wilmington Anti-Aircraft Artillery Training Center during World War II. The camp included over 46,000 acres including Topsail Island.
Fort DavisPart of the Wilmington Defenses during the Civil War, it was located along the Cape Fear River, south of Wilmington and originally named Fort Stokes and renamed in 1863.
Deep Gap FortA palisaded Union fort built during Stoneman's Raid. Located on what is now the Blue Ridge Parkway. Troops were also stationed at Watauga Gap, State Gap and Sampson Gap.
Fort DefianceA militia outpost was built in the Upper Yadkin Valley for defense against the Cherokee. General William Lenoir built his home on the site of the frontier fort and took the fort's name for the name of his home.
See Fort Russell.
Fort DelaneyAn Army post near Andrews used during the Cherokee Removal.
Fort DillardA Confederate fort near Riddicksville at the confluence of the Blackwater and Nottoway Rivers. Abandoned when troops moved to Franklin, Virginia with the approach of Union gunboats.
Fort DixieA Confederate redoubt on Flanner Beach.
Fort Dobbs
In response to the threat created in the French & Indian War, as well as the threat to settlers in the newly created Rowan County, Fort Dobbs was built as a military barracks, trading post, fortification, provisioning depot, and center for Indian negotiations in the region. For more than three years, it was manned, the only historical site in North Carolina recognized from the era. At the thought of the militia companies responding to calls from Pennsylvania, the settlers cried out for someone stationed at the fort. With the French & Indian War over, negotiations with the Cherokee had fallen apart and North Carolina was involved in the Cherokee War. The settlers had all but given up their homes and moved into the fort for safety. In Feb 1760, the fort itself was attacked. In 1761, 400 provincial soldiers from Virginia and North Carolina repelled the Cherokee. In 1763, it was all over, with the Cherokee suing for peace. The fort's use now diminished as the frontier moved further west. By 1766, the fort was abandoned and had falled into disrepair. The site was purchased by a DAR chapter and used for many years as a meeting place. Three period cabins were purchased, moved to the site and joined to provide an authentic meeting area. When the chapter disbanded, the property was given to the state as a historical site. Currently, funds are being raised in order to built a replica of the fort at the site. For more information, click here
Fort DuttonUnion fort built after the Union captured New Bern in 1862.
Edonton BatteryA Patriot shore battery.
Camp Ellis1861 Confederate camp located at the State Fairgrounds in Raleigh.
Fort EllisA Confederate eight-gun battery located near Granthams. It was blown up to prevent capture by the Union.
See Ballast Point Battery.
Fayetteville ArsenalFederal arsenal captured by the Confederates in 1861. Destroyed by Sherman in 1865.
Fayetteville EarthworksConfederate earthworks located on grounds of the VA Hospital Fayetteville. Not used in Mar 1865 battle.
Camp FerebeeConfederate calvary training camp located near Garysburg.
1862 - 1863 Confederate calvary camp located four miles outside of Snow Hill.
Camp FisherConfederate training camp near Salisbury. Named Camp Hill initially.
Fort Fisher
An earthwork fort built for the defense of Wilmington during the Civil War. Union forces battled the fort several times, before the fort fell in Jan 1865. Originally it was called Battery Bolles, it was rebuilt in 1862 and included eight separate batteries: Battery Hedrick, Lenoir Battery, Battery Roland, Purdie Battery, Columbiad Battery, Cumberland Battery, and Battery Meade on the eastern flank. On the northern flank, Shepherd's Battery, Northeast Bastion were located. Mound Batter, also known as Battery Lamb was the southernmost defense. Battery Holland was a defense of land attacks. Many of these batteries, if there are any remnants, it's only trace, are long gone, although some have been reconstructed. A 1946 Hurricane helped erode many of the seafaces. During World War II, an air strip was built at this site. For more information, click here
Flag Pond BatteryPart of the Wilmington Defenses/Fort Fisher during the Civil War. Also known as Battery Anderson.
Camp FloridaConfederate camp located on Topsail Island.
Camp Floyd1864 Confederate camp located near Weldon.
Fort ForrestConfederate Fort on Roanoke Island directly across from Fort Huger. Destroyed in Feb 1862.
Fort Landing StockadeLocated at Fort Landing. A colonial trader's stockade to protect from Indian raids.
Fort FosterSee Fort Bartow.
Camp FrenchPart of the Wilmington Defenses during the Civil War, Camp French was located south along the Cape Fear River.
Fort FrenchPart of the Wilmington Defenses during the Civil War, Fort French was located south along the Cape Fear River and renamed in 1863 to Fort Lee.
Camp GastonA Confederate camp located outside of the palisaded Fort Gaston built by the Union.
Fort GastonA Union palisaded fort built across the Trent River in James City to defend New Bern.
Battery GatlinLocated on the west side of Myrtle Grove Sound, it was part of the Wilmington Defenses during the Civil War. Union referred to it as Half Moon Battery. Site identified Forest-by-the-sea condo complex.
Camp GatlinConfederate camp defending New Bern. Located behind Fort Lane site.
Fort GeorgeSmall works located on Bald Head Island, near the site of a 1776 naval action.
Camp GeorgiaConfederate camp on Roanoke Island.
Camp GibbinsParallel facility to Camp Davis, World War II Training Facility. Used only for African-American troops.
Camp at Gilbert TownCamp of Loyalists led by Major Patrick Ferguson before the battle of Kings Mountain.
Camp GlennLocated near Morehead City, this camp was a National Guard summer tent camp. After World War I, it was used as a Navy base. It was the first Coast Guard Air Station 1920 - 1921. In 1941, the Navy used it as an Area Section Base.
Camp GordonConfederate camp east of Greenville along Tar River at Simpson.
Camp GrahamOriginally known as Camp Graham, it was the Confederate winter barracks at Newport. Union captured in Apr 1862 and renamed Newport Barracks.
Graham's FortDuring the Revolutionary War, Colonel William Graham lived in a large log hewn home. It was fortified, offering local inhabitants a place to go for safety.
In Sep 1780, a group of Tories led by John Burke, attacked the fort. Although there were others there, the only ones in a position to fight were William Graham, David Dickey and William's stepson William Twitty. Surviving accounts vary, but there seems to have been a couple dozen Tories demanding surrender of the fort.
At one point, according to the stories, Burke approached the structure, placed the muzzle of his gun into a crack and discharged the weapon. Seeing this, William Twitty’s seventeen year old sister Susan is said to have pushed her brother down to save him from the bullet. Susan then encouraged William to immediately return the volley out of the aperture as Burke reloaded. Burke was shot through the head. With Burke dead and others wounded, the Tories retreated.
Fort GranvilleAn L-shaped fort built inn 1749 to protect against the Spanish at Beacon Island. Enlarged in 1757, but eventually abandoned. Later rebuilt and used during the American Revolution.
Camp GreeneFederal National Guard training and demobilization camp for the Third and Fourth Divisions from 1917 - 1919. Located west of Charlotte, several buildings were converted to homes after the war and the camp headquarters, the Dowd House, is now a museum.
Fort GreyA Union fort at Plymouth facing Tabor Island.
Camp GrimesSpanish-American War muster camp located near state fairgrounds.
Grove CampSee Beech Grove Camp.
Gum Swamp FortConfederate fort built in 1863. Located west of Dover. Battle fought here Jan 1863.
Fort Gun BatterySee Fort Campbell.
Half-Moon BatterySee Battery Gatlin.
Fort HalUnion defense of Plymouth on the western edge of town facing the River. Also known as Battery Worth.
Fort HallA Confederate fort on the Pungo River in Hyde County.
Fort HambyA two story log blockhouse used by criminals and Union deserters. Civilians captured it in May 1865. Located near Wilkesboro at present underwater in the W Kerr Scott Reservoir on Lewis Fork Creek.
Camp HamiltonConfederate camp located near Kinston.
Fort HamiltonA Union fort with three guns for the defense of Washington.
Fort HamptonSee Fort Macon.
Fort HancockLocated on Shackelford Banks, this was a French fort built to protect their ships.
Fort HatterasConfederate fort captured by Union army and naval forces in Aug 1861.A twelve-gun fort larger than Fort Clark and guarded inlet to Pamlico Sound. Exact location eroded away.
Havelock Station BlockhouseUnion blockhouse to protect railroad trestle over Slocum Creek neave Havelock. Confederate troops burned it in Feb 1864.
Camp HeathPart of the Wilmington Defenses during the Civil War, this Confederate Camp was located at Scott's Hill.
Battery HedrickSee Fort Fisher
Fort HembreeLocated near Hayesville on Blair Creek. Built to house the Cherokee prior to their removal on the Trail of Tears.
Heron's BridgeThis earthwork was a patriot defense in 1781 built to protect a crossing of the Cape Fear River. British attacked it unsuccessfully.
Camp Hill1861 Confederate training camp located near Garysburg.
1862 Confederate training camp near Salisbury. Renamed Camp Fisher.
Fort HillPart of the Wilmington Defenses during the Civil War, it was located south along the Cape Fear River. Had five guns. Renamed Fort Meares in 1863.
Located near McConnell, there were several Confederate batteries on Hill's Point. These were originally built in 1861, but abandoned when Washington was captured in Mar 1862. In Apr 1863, they were again used by Confederates under Gen Daniel Hill in an effort to retake Washington.
Camp HiltonConfederate camp located near Kinston.
Camp HoffmanA Union Blockhouse built along the railroad near Tuscarora.
Camp HokeConfederate camp located near Kinston.
Battery HollandSee Fort Fisher.
Camp Holmes1861 Confederate camp located near Weldon.
Confederate camp in Raleigh.
Fort HolmesLocated on Bald Head Island, a Confederate earthworks made up of five batteries. Only the fourth battery surrounding the lighthouse remains. Fort was destroyed to prevent Union capture in 1865.
A Confederate earthwork built to defend New Bern in 1861.
Hough's BlockhouseA settler's fort on the French Broad River used during the battles with the Cherokee and the Creeks in 1793.
Fort HugerConfederate fort on Weir Point on Roanoke Island. Renamed Fort Reno by Union.
Huggin's Island FortConfederate fort built to protect Bogue Inlet during the Civil War. Union forces burned the fort in Apr 1862, but the earthworks remain.
Camp HuntingtonAn Army post located in Cherokee Nation used during the Indian Removal years.
Fort HydeBuilt at Core Sound across the Pamlico River from Bath about 1711. It was built to protect settlers during the Tuscarora War. Garrison Point is located nearby opposite Durham Creek to the southeast.
Camp IrwinA Confederate camp located in Rutherfordton during the Civil War.
Camp JacksonPart of the Wilmington Defenses during the Civil War, this Confederate camp was located in the general area 1863-1865.
Camp JeterA Confederate Camp located near the intersection of Cherry and Flint St in Asheville.
Johnson's FortA settler's log stockade. Located at Tanglewood Park in Clemmons.
Camp JohnstonConfederate Camp located near Hardison Crossroads on Falling Creek near Kinston.
Fort Johnston
Originally built in 1748 to protect the coast near Southport from Spanish Attacks. Originally as a wooden square-shaped fort with four bastions and sand earthworks. In 1754, construction began to rebuild fort into a star-shaped stone and tabby fort with four bastions and a dry moat. In 1771, it had 27 guns. In 1773, it was rebuilt again and Governor Josiah Martin took refuge here in Jun 1775, removing the guns. Patriots destroyed the fort in Jul 1775. In 1779 it was rebuilt again with six guns and a dozen more were added later. The British captured it in Jan 1781, but abandoned it in Nov. In 1794, it was rebuilt again as a Federal fort. In 1806 it was reported as an eight-gun battery.
A masonry fort by the time of the Civil War, Confederates seized the fort in Apr 1861, but the fort was reduced to sand earthworks and sod covered mounds with four guns and two magazines by 1862. Renamed Fort Branch in 1863 and Fort Pender in 1864. Captured by the Union in Jan 1865.
New buildings were constructed in the 1870s but the post closed in 1881. During World War II, a searchlight position was located here.
An 1810 Garrison House is the only building still remaining on the site. Three other buildings still exist, but are now located in town. The Garrison House was used by various government and military agencies up to the present. For more information, click here
Fort JonesSee Fort Comfort.
Camp JourdanUnion Camp on Roanoke Island.
King Hancock's FortThe fort was a Tuscarora stronghold. The first battle of the Tuscarora War fought here on 27 Feb 1712 ended with a treaty which was unsatisfactory to both sides. The Tuscarora held settlers captive and the South Carolinian force led by Col Barnwell could hear their screams as they were tortured. Chief Hancock promised to kill all of the captives if the fighting continued. With the promise of their release, Barnwell's forces withdrew. The Tuscarora released twelve captives and the remainder were to be released later. However, the Tuscarora did not make the meeting. On 7 Apr 1712, a second battle was fought. Negotiations were made this time as well, with the Tuscarora turning over Chief Hancock and three of his lieutenants. Chief Hancock was executed by the settlers.
Kure Beach ReservePart of the Harbor Defenses at Wilmington during World War II. This was built just south of Fort Fisher to defend the inlet to Wilmington. An air field was built here as an auxiliary to Camp Davis. Only the commissary and exchange still exist. Part of the Fort Fisher State Recreation Facility.
Battery LambSee Fort Fisher.
Part of the Wilmington Defenses during the Civil War. Located at Reeve's Point. Located at present-day Sunny Point US Military Ocean Terminal. Severely damaged in magazine explosion in 1865.
Camp LambPart of the Wilmington Defenses during the Civil War, a Confederate camp located in the area.
Fort LaneOriginally named Fort Caswell, Fort Lane was a militia fort built to defend New Bern from the British. Patriots abandoned the fort before the British occupied in Aug 1781. In 1861, the Confederates rebuilt the fort as a three-gun battery and renamed it to Fort Lane. Union forces captured the fort in Mar 1862.
Fort LeeSee Fort French.
Lenoir BatterySee Fort Fisher.
Camp LeventhorpeConfederate training camp located near Garysburg.
Part of the Wilmington Defenses during the Civil War, this Confederate camp was located on Fowler's Point.
Fort LindsayAn Army post used during the Cherokee Removal, located near Almond.
Fort LombardUnion infantry redoubt as part of the defenses of Washington.
Camp Long1862 Confederate training camp located near Garysburg.
Battery LookoutSee Fort Macon.
Camp Macon1861 Confederate camp located near Macon.
Fort MaconFort Macon was the third fort to be built on this site. The first fort on this site was Fort Dobbs, started around 1756 but it was never completed. The second fort on this site was Fort Hampton. Fort Hampton was built in 1808 by Captain Charles Gratiot and named for Colonel Andrew Hampton who fought at the Battle of Kings Mountain in 1780. Fort Hampton was a horseshoe shaped structure with a two story brick barracks and a brick magazine along the back. At the beginning of the War of 1812, fears that the British might attack Beufort Inlet caused the North Carolina Militia to strengthen the fort until 140 troops under Lieutenant John S Smallwood, 43rd US Infantry in Apr 1814. The fort deteriorated during the war, after the war it was manned by only a small garrison until it was abandoned in 1819. The remnants of the earlier forts eroded into the sea, particularly after an 1825 hurricane. Fort Macon was designed by Brigadier General Simon Bernard and construction began in 1826. The fort was named for Nathaniel Macon, Sixth Speaker of the US House of Representatives and North Carolina Senator. The fort was completed in 1834 and until the Civil War, was only lightly manned, most of the time only under a caretaker. The North Carolina Militia seized the fort 14 Apr 1861 and began upgrading the armament. The Confederates held the fort until Brigadier General John G Parke led both land and marine forces to attack the fort. Colonel Moses J White, Confederate Commander, surrendered the fort 26 Apr 1862. The fort remained in Union hands for the duration of the war. From 1865 until 1877, the fort became a prison for both military and civilian prisoners. In 1877, it was relegated to caretaker status. In 1898 during the Spanish American War the fort was manned by North Carolina troops, however, the fort didn't receive any of the newer guns or upgrades. Older guns were remounted and batteries were reactivated. By 10 Oct 1903, records indicate that there were no guns at the fort. Records at that time also indicate the fort was in poor conditions due to irregular settling and it was abandoned. President Calvin Coolidge sold the fort and it's land, with the exception of the Coast Guard Station, to the State of North Carolina for $1 on 4 Jun 1924. This became the second state park. The Civilian Conservation Corps repaired the fort and infrastructure and the park opened to the public 1 May 1936. Fort Macon was leased back to the Federal Government for $1 per year during World War II. It was regarrisoned with Federal Troops arriving 21 Dec 1941. Part of the First Battalion of the 244th Coast Artillery, Battery B, with four 155mm GPF, was just southwest of the fort. Battery A, with four 155mm GPR, was built just west of Atlantic Beach. Other armament was upgraded. Oct 1944 troops were withdrawn and the fort deactivated. 1 Oct 1946 the lease expired and the fort was turned back over to the state of North Carolina which reopened the Fort Macon State Park.
Camp MangumConfederate Camp west of Raleigh along the railroad at Method.
Camp MartinConfederate camp near Kinston.
Camp Mason1862 Confederate Camp near Goldsboro.
1861 Confederate camp near Graham.
Camp MassachusettsUnion work south of New Bern during the Civil War.
Camp MastA Confederate training camp near Sugar Grove in Watauga County. It was captured by the Union in Mar 1865.
Camp McCullochA Confederate camp located near Jackson.
McDowell's StationA settlers' station built at Quaker Meadows, near Morganton. A skirmish occurred here in 1776.
Fort McFadden
Located on the western end of Rutherford County, this fort was named for James McFadden and was used as a refuge for settlers during Indian Raids.
Fort McGaughey
Fort McGaughey, located near Brittain Presbyterian Church in Rutherford County, was named for Andrew McGaughey. It was built during the Revolutionary War.
Camp McIntosh1862 Confederate camp near Goldsboro.
Camp McLean1862 Confederate camp near Goldsboro.
Battery MeadeSee Fort Fisher.
Fort MearesSee Fort Hill.
Fort MercerNamed Fort Wessels by the Union. A Union fort at Campbell and Winston Streets in Plymouth. Confederate renamed Fort Mercer.
Fort MonteilSee Ballast Point Battery.
Fort MontgomeryLocated near Robbinsville, was an Army post used during the Cherokee Removal.
Fort MorganBuilt on the site of Fort ocracoke, it served as a prison camp for Union prisoners of war. It was rebuilt as a twelve-gun octagonal barricade with sand then covered with grass and sod. A hospital was also located here. The site has eroded away.
Mound BatterySee Fort Fisher.
NarhantesTuscarora Indian Fort, the largest of nine forts about a mile apart which protected and area of scattered farms. Attacked by South Carolina militia led by Cpt John Barnwell in Mar 1712. Located near Saulston.
Fort NeorookaThe fort was a Tuscarora palisaded stronghold. The zigzag design made the fort especially defensible. The final battle of the Tuscarora War was fought here. The South Carolinian forces under Colonel James Moore destroyed the fort, killing an estimated 900 people inside the fort. Others were sold into slavery. This destroyed the Southern Tuscarora tribes in North Carolina. Those who survived, joined the Iroquois Five Nations in New York, becoming the Sixth Nation. Excavations at the site in 2006 have revealed escape tunnels from inside the fort. Local Tuscarora descendants (the Tuscarora in New York are the only federally recognized Tuscarora tribe) have requested that the remains be returned to them for burial.
Camp NethercuttConfederate camp located near Kinston.
Newport BarracksSee Camp Graham.
Northeast BastionSee Fort Fisher.
Fort OcracokeThe Confederates built a nine-gun square redoubt of sod in 1861 on Beacon Island, but abandoned the fort before the Union seized it in Sep 1861. The Union destroyed the fort before building Fort Morgan on the site.
Old FortUnion fort at the mouth of Brice Creek.
Fort OregonConfederate earthworks on Pea Island at the Oregon Inlet.
Owen's FortA stockaded compound under a cliff overhang located somewhere in the Upper Yadkin River Valley. Used by the outlaw Owen's gang to pillage outlying settlers homes in the late 1750s. Soldiers from Fort Dobbs attacked the compound to arrest the gang.
Painted Rock BlockhouseA fort on the French Broad River near Painted Rock used during the battles with the Cherokee and the Creeks in 1793.
Camp PalmerUnion calvary camp located near Camp Beech Grove.
Fort ParkeSee Fort Blanchard.
Camp PattersonPart of the Wilmington Defenses during the Civil War, this was a Confederate camp.
Camp PattonA Confederate camp located on Chestnut St east of Charlotte St in Asheville.
Fort PearsonUnion fort located near New Bern.
Camp PenderA Confederate post located near Fort Branch.
Fort PenderSee Fort Johnston.
Camp PendletonUnion fort located near New Bern.
Camp Pettigrew1861 Confederate camp located near Weldon.
Part of the Wilmington Defenses during the Civil War, a Confederate camp.
A Confederate camp on Topsail Island.
Camp PierceUnion fort located near New Bern.
Camp PolkA tank camp, including tank training from 1918 - 1919. The War Department leased the State Fairgrounds for this camp. No state fair was held in 1918.
Fort PollockFort Pollock is a North Carolina militia fort built about 1711 somewhere on Core Sound. No one is exactly sure where it was built. It was used by the settlers to protect themselves during the Tuscarora War.
Camp Pool1862 Confederate camp on Tower Hill Road near Georgetown. Earthworks forming a semi-circle with an infantry trench and several gun emplacements still exist on the north bank of the Neuse River. Confederates abandoned seven guns when Union attacked Kinston in Dec 1862.
Battery PorterA Confederate earthwork gun emplacements located near Battery Park Hill.
Potecasi Creek EarthworksConfederate earthworks near Mapleton. Battle here Jul 1863.
Pott's FortA settlers' fort located somewhere in Montford Cove in McDowell County.
Purdie BatterySee Fort Fisher
Camp RadcliffA Confederate camp located near Southport.
Raleigh ArsenalFederal arsenal in Raleigh at Union/Capitol Square built about 1827. Used as a confederate supply depot after 1862.
Camp RaleighConfederate camp on north end of Roanoke Island.
Fort RaleighFirst English settlement in new world. Much isn't known.
Camp at Ramsour's MillA Tory camp of over 1300 men led by Lt Col John Moore located near Lincolnton. This camp was attacked in Jun 1780.
Camp Ransom1861 Confederate camp located near Weldon.
1863 Confederate camp on Wyse Fork. Union trenchworks still remain from Mar 1865.
Fort ReadingBuilt near Washington at Lionel Reading's Plantation about 1711. It was on the south bank of the Pamlico River opposite town near Whichard's Beach. It was one of eleven forts built to protect settlers during the Tuscarora War.
Camp RenoUnion fort near New Bern during Civil War.
Fort RenoSee Fort Huger.
Camp RescueConfederate earthworks north of Fort Forrest.
Fort RipleySee Fort Benjamin.
Roanoke Island FortSee Roanoke
Camp Robertson1862 - 1863 Confederate calvary camp several miles outside of Snow Hill, probably near Rainbow Bank.
Camp Robinson1861 Confederate camp located near Weldon.
Rodman's Point BatteryA Confederate siege battery built in order to recapture Washington from the Union in 1863.
Battery RolandSee Fort Fisher
Fort RollinsA palisaded Confederate fort built after Stoneman's Raid near Blowing Rock.
Fort RowanThe middle fort in a line of forts between the Neuse and Trent Rivers by the Union in defense of New Bern after capturing the town.
Camp RussellA Confederate Hospital at Raleigh, became Confederate Soldiers' Home after Reconstruction.
Fort RussellConfederate fort in center of Roanoke Island. Also called Fort Defiance.
Fort RutherfordSee Davidson's Fort
Fort St PhilipSee Fort Anderson
Salisbury ArsenalA Confederate manufacturing arsenal at the former Boyden Foundry. Destroyed by Union forces in Apr 1865.
Salisbury Military PrisonBuilt around a cotton mill, this Confederate stockade for Union prisoners of war was captured in April 1865 during Stoneman's Raid.
Fort San Juan de XualaFort San Juan was a Spanish fort built by the Juan Pardo expedition. They were trying to find an overland route to Mexico and travelled from Beaufort, South Carolina into western Tennessee building a series of forts along the way. The Native American town of Joara was located at the headwaters of the Catawba and the fort was built near the town. The fort was manned from Jan 1567 to Jun 1568, when relations between the Spaniards and the Natives became tumultuous and the fort was burned. Current excavations are on the north side of Morganton.
Fort San PabloA Spanish blockhouse built near the native town of Cooweechee along the French Broad River by the Juan Pardo expedition in 1567. A small garrison of 15 to 30 men were left here in Dec 1567.
Sandy Ridge CampConfederate camp on Old Dover Road near Dover.
Fort SantiagoBuilt early in 1567 by the Juan Pardo Expedition, this Spanish stockaded log blockhouse was built on the Yadkin River at Guartari, an Indian village. The blockhouse had two earth and log bastions.
Fort ScottLocated near Aquone, was an Army post used during the Cherokee Removal.
SecotonA palisaded Indian village visited by John White in 1585. Believed was somewhere in Beaufort County.
Battery ShawSee Fort Campbell.
Camp SloanConfederate camp in Charlotte adjacent from the North Carolina Military Institute, which was established in 1858.
Snow Camp British EncampmentAfter the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, Cornwallis and his troops stopped at Snow Camp, a Quaker settlement, on their march to Wilmington.
South Mills BatteryConfederate three-gun battery guarding locks to Dismal Swamp Canal.
Camp SouthwestConfederate-built earthworks located on north bank of Southwest Creek near Woodington. In Mar 1865, battle was fought in which the 15th Connecticut was disarmed.
Fort SpinolaA Union fort along the Neuse River south of New Bern at the site of the Confederate Fort Lane. Adjacent to Fort Massachusetts.
Fort StevensonUnion fort between the Neuse River and Trent River near New Bern.
Battery StokesPart of the Wilmington Defenses during the Civil War, this battery was located south along the Cape Fear River. Renamed from Battery Tirza in 1863.
Camp StokesConfederate camp in Greensboro.
Confederate camp in Charlotte near Camp Sloan.
Fort StrongSee Fort Davis.
Sugarloaf Signal StationLocated along the Cape Fear in present-day Carolina Beach State Park, is the Sugarloaf Dune. Trenches are still visible in the woods.
Fort SullivanConfederate Fort on Roanoke Island.
Fort ThompsonA Confederate 13-gun earthwork located near Riverdale along the Neuse River several miles from New Bern. Captured by Union in Mar 1862.
Battery TirzaSee Battery Stokes.
TorhuntaSee Narhantes above
Topsail BatteryPart of the Topsail Inlet Batteries. Located on Hwy 17 but much was destroyed when the highway was widened in the 1950s.
Fort TottenA Union fort between the Neuse and Trent River following the Union capture of New Bern during the Civil War.
Fort UnionSee Fort Dutton.
Upper FortSee Davidson's Fort
Camp Vance
(several locations)
A Confederate training post located near Drexel in Burke County. It was raided by the Union in Jun 1864.
A Confderate camp located in Asheville near Sulphur Springs.
A Confederate post located near Fort Branch.
Confederate training camp from 1862 - 1865 located near Garysburg.
1862 Confederate camp located near Kittrell.
1863 Confederate camp near Raleigh.
1862 Confederate camp near Goldsboro.
Confederate camp near Morehead City used as winter quarters from Nov 1861 - Jan 1862.
Warm Springs BlockhouseA fort on the French Broad River near Hot Springs used during the battles with the Cherokee and the Creeks in 1793.
Fort WarrenUnion fort at Plymouth built after recapture in 1864.
Camp Washington1861 Confederate camp located on Portsmouth Island.
Fort WashingtonUnion fort located at 10th and Market Streets in Washington.
Camp WataugaA confederate camp located somewhere in Watauga County, exact location unknown.
Fort WessellsSee Fort Mercer.
Camp Whiting1864 Confederate Camp located near Holden Beach.
An 1863 winter camp located a couple miles from downtown Wilmington.
Camp WilkesConfederate camp located a couple of miles from Fort Macon.
Camp WilliamsConfederate camp located near Snow Hill.
Fort WilliamsA Union fort in Plymouth located around the intersection of Jefferson and Fort Williams Street. Earthworks connected to other redoubts.
Post at WilmingtonThe British stayed here in 1781 and erected some defensive earthworks. Cornwallis' Army encamped here for two weeks in Apr 1781 on the march east from Snow Camp before heading north to Petersburg, Virginia. A small garrison remained until Nov 1781, when they were evacuated. The British Headquarters was located at 224 Market Street.
Camp WinfieldConfederate camp located near the Hatteras Lighthouse.
Fort WingfieldSee Fort Buffalo.
Camp WinslowA Confederate camp located near Asheville.
Confederate training camp located near Garysburg. Originally it was located on the Roanoke River near Halifax.
Confederate camp near Raleigh.
Wofford's FortNot to be confused with Cathey's Fort. This fortified home was built on Turkey Cove on Armstrong Creek near Cathey's Fort. While it was being built in Jan 1781, it was attacked by the Cherokee and the settlers requested help from Cathey's Fort. Only used as a fort for a couple of years.
Camp WoodfinA Confederate camp located near Asheville.
Camp WoolUnion camp located near Fort Clark on Hatteras Inlet.
Battery WorthSee Fort Hal.
Camp WyattConfederate camp near Raleigh.
Also Camp Wyatt was part of Wilmington Defenses/Fort Fisher during the Civil War, included hospital and commissary.
Young's FortA two-story fortified home built by Thomas Young in 1778 on Hunting Creek outside of Houstonville. It was also used as a Patriot supply depot.
Zeke's Island BatteryPart of the Wilmington Defenses/Fort Fisher during the Civil War. Located on south of Federal Point.




Return to North Carolina Home


© 2013 - Present Ancestral Trackers & Jeanne Hicks This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated without consent. All rights reserved. Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited. The copyright(s) © Ancestral Trackers, on this page must appear on all copied and/or printed material - when used with the permission of host.