|Americas||Site of first courthouse in Jackson County.|
|Antioch||Antioch was destroyed by Union Troops during the Civil War and never rebuilt. It was located near the Antioch Baptist Church near Jumpertown, Prentiss County.|
|Augusta||Originally located on the north side of the Leaf River from New Augusta in Perry County. Copeland Gang hanged here in 1850s.|
|Bankston||Located in Choctaw County, on 30 Dec 1864, US forces burned the factories in the town. The factories had been manufacturing supplies for the Confederacy. All that remains today is the foundation of a store and the community cemetery.|
|Bay Springs||An 1880s milling and ginning town, it was located on the west side of Mack's Creek in Tishomingo County. Exact location unknown, but possibly under the Bay Springs Reservoir.|
|Blackwater||Located in Lafayette County, it was just south of the county line, eighteen miles northwest of Oxford. Founded in 1859, the town was abandoned before 1937. The town was named after nearby Blackwater Creek.|
|Boler's Inn||A nineteenth century tavern and travellers stop, it was located in Newton County, near Union, northwest of Meridian. During Sherman's march to the sea in 1863, the inn was saved when used as a field hospital.|
|Brewton||Lumber town in Jackson County, on a hill on the west bank of the Pascagoula River. Courthouse foundation all that remains.|
|Camargo||Originally located on the banks of Town Creek in Monroe County. Named for a mustering point in the War with Mexico.|
|Cotton Gin Port||Located in Monroe County, it was a stopping point on the Gaines Trace on the Tombigbee River. In 1801, the US Government built a cotton gin in an attempt to "civilize the Chickasaw Nation. When the Kansas City, Memphis & Birmingham Railroad was established and didn't go through the town, many of the townspeople moved to nearby Armory. Ruins are all that remains and some relics are on display at the Armory Museum.|
|Daleville||Located in Lauderdale County, just south of the county line, about fifteen miles north of Meridian.|
|Dallas||Located in Lafayette County, southeast of Oxford and south of Yocona. It thrived from 1842 to 1935.|
|Eaton||Originally called Toby Tubby's Ferry, it was located in Lafayette County, twenty miles southwest of Oxford. Streets were laid out, with some stores erected, but an 1837 depression eliminated any hope for the town.|
|Edsville||Located in Holmes County, four miles from West.|
|Electric Mills||Just south of the town of Scooba in Kemper County, this mill begin with one of the first electric sawmills in the state. The town thrived until the 1950s, when the mill closed and the town dwindled. A lumber mill is in operation in this location, but the town has never recovered. The original streets still exist, but they are gravel.|
|Flat Top||Located in Hancock County, in 1961, the town was removed as a buffer for the NASA test station. It was named for the flat-topped building at the town's center.|
|Fort Bayou||Located on the north shore of Fort Bayou on the high banks in Jackson County, all that remains is the cemetery, building foundations and a cattle dip. Across from present-day Ocean Springs.|
|Gainesville||Gainesville was Hancock County's center when it was flourishing in the 1800s. It was at a crossroads between New Orleans and points east, as well as a community with thriving lumber mills. During the Great Depression in the 1930s, all but one of the lumber mills went out of business, causing the townspeople to move elsewhere for their livelihood. The county seat was relocated to Bay St Louis. The land was purchased by NASA in 1961 and became a test site. Some buildings and foundations still remain on the NASA property.|
|Garden City||Located in Franklin County, about four miles north of Crosby on the north side of the Homochitto River.|
|Gomez||A farming community in Lafayette County, about eight miles northeast of Oxford, that flourished in the 1830s, but has since dissipated.|
|Harmon||Located in Lamar County, four miles southwest of Purvis.|
|Holmesville||Located in Pike County on the Bogue Chitto River, Holmesville was the county seat from the county's creation in 1816 until 1873, when it was replaced by Magnolia. This community also was the location of Mississippi's First General Assembly 9 Dec 1815. The town was a flourishing river port, but with the rail lines going elsewhere, the community died out.|
|Liberty Hill||In Lafayette County, located fifteen miles northeast of Oxford, the community thrived in the 1800s. A post office was located in the community. When a rural route was established in 1912 from Lafayette Springs, the community dwindled.|
|Logtown||Located on the Pearl River in Hancock County, the town got its name from the industry that flourished during Reconstruction -- the lumber industry. The lumber industry was severely limited during the Great Depression, with all but one of the lumber mills going out of business. The site is now part of the NASA test station.|
|Minden||Located in Kemper County, exact location undetermined, it had a post office from 1898 until 1915.|
|Monroe||Current location of the community is in Forrest County, but at the time it thrived, it was in northwest Perry County, near Jones County. Had a post office until 1902.|
|Mount Locust Inn|
|Napoleon||Located in Pearl River County, this was a logging community on the Pearl River.|
|Orwood||A community in the southwest corner of Lafayette County, It was only called Orwood when the post office was established there in 1885. The post office was discontinued in 1905. The community died shortly after the post office was discontinued.|
|Panola||Original county seat for Panola County, it was a river port community. With the building of the railroad a short distance away, the town moved and renamed itself Batesville. Original courthouse was renovated to be a private home.|
|Piave||A lumber community in the north west corned of Greene County.|
|Piera||Located northwest of Oxford in Lafayette County, this community was an 1830s real estate boom attempting to compete with Memphis. When it all went sour, the community became a few isolated farms.|
|Plymouth||This community was a fortified community built in 1819 on the west bank of the Tombigbee River in Lowndes County. On the edge of the Choctaw Nation, Plymouth and it's sister city, Columbus, located across the river, both had high bluffs for residents to use to escape flood waters. However, in times of flooding, the bluffs closest to Plymouth weren't as accessible. In the 1840s, the residents began moving to Columbus and elsewhere. Today a reconstructed village site near the community cemetery is visible. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.|
|Rodney||Rodney, once a thriving Mississippi River port, is merely a shell of what it once was. The settlement had the name Petit Gulph in 1798. There are maps carrying that name as early as 1715 and it is believed that it is the location that Native Americans used to cross the river. In 1814 the name was changed to honor the territorial magistrate, Judge Thomas Rodney. When voting for the territorial capital, Rodney missed becoming the capital by three votes.|
Rodney hosted many notables of the day, Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay and Zachary Taylor. Taylor liked the area so well, he purchased the Cypress Grove Plantation with 81 slaves. It was at this time that Taylor's daughter, Sarah, eloped with Lt Jefferson Davis. Taylor's property, south of Rodney, would later cave in and fall into the Mississippi.
Dr Haller Nutt came to Rodney in 1815. He discovered new methods to grow cotton which would combat the problem of rot developing which killed half of the crops planted. He also improved Eli Whitney's cotton gin by connecting it to steam power. It was now a more practical and useful piece of machinery.
With the prospering of the town, local inhabitants decided that a college was needed. They built Oakland College. The auditorium, president's home and one other building are part of today's Alcorn State University.
In the 1840s and 50s, Rodney was at it prime. In 1850, it was the busiest port between New Orleans and St Louis. The steamboats Natchez and Robert E Lee made Rodney a chief port call. Rodney had 1000 permanent residents, a hotel with a ballroom, a bank, thirty-five stores, two widely read newspapers and the first opera house in the state.
By 1860, there were 4000 residents. The most notable thing that Rodney is known for occurred 12 Sep 1863. A small gunboat, the Rattler was stationed in front of Rodney to keep watch for unusual activities. The admiral had ordered that no one was to leave the ship. However, on that Sunday, twenty-four sailors, including a lieutenant and captain, dressed in their finest military attire and went to the Presbyterian church. As the second hymn was being sung. Lt Allen of the Confederate Calvary walked down the aisle to the pulpit. Apologizing to Rev Baker, he announced that his men had surrounded the church and demanded the Yankees surrender. Shots were fired alerting the skeleton crew on board the Rattler. Four home were hit with cannonballs, as was the church. There is still cannonball lodged in the front of the church. Local history claims that the original fell out so a new one was put in.
When the dust had cleared, the Confederates had seventeen prisoners. They refused to let the town be destroyed, claiming that if there were any more shots fired at the town they would begin hanging their prisoners. The crew of the Rattler were a laughingstock as it was the first time an ironclad had been captured by calvary. Located outside of town is the abandoned cemetery where the confederates had camped.
When the river changed course, the town began fading away. In the 1870s, the town attempted to revive, but with the Reconstruction, it didn't happen. At one point, the railroad looked at Rodney, but it didn't happen either. There are still a few residents there, but it is not what it once was.
|Russum||Located in Claiborne County between Lorman and Port Gibson on US 61, this community was a small thriving community in 1930, but has since faded and is no longer identified on a map of the area.|
|Santa Rosa||The community was the residential community for the logging industry in and around Gainesville in Hancock County. It had faded away and in 1961, NASA purchased the land.|
|Springdale||Located in Lafayette County, southwest of Oxford, this community was established in 1858 on the Mississippi Central Railroad. This community had several businesses in addition to the railroad, but by 1907, had faded away, although it is still recognized as a rural community on some maps.|
|Temple||Located in Lauderdale County, this community may have been a logging community.|
|Tocowa||Located on the boundary between former Chickasaw and Choctaw lands, the springs were believed to have healing properties. This was considered neutral ground for both tribes. After the Indian Removal, people would travel to the springs for healing and vacations. Located in Panola County, today it is a very rural, loose-knit community.|
|Walton||Located northeast of Oxford in Lafayette County, this community was established in 1838. In 1866, a post office was established here. The post office was discontinued in 1890, with the death of the postmaster. The community followed suit and by 1895, little remained.|
|Westonia||This logging community, located in Hancock County, outdid its neighbors, as at one point it had about 3000 residents. Named for lumberman Henry Weston, it began its downward spiral during the Great Depression. Today, it is in the buffer zone around Stennis Space Center.|
|White Horse Tavern||Located in Adams County, at the junction of Old Woodville Road and US 61, south of Natchez, it was one of the southernmost stops on the Natchez Trace.|
|Williamsville||Located west of Grenada, in Grenada County, this community was destroyed when the Grenada Lake was built.|
|Winborn||Located in Benton County, southeast of Holly Springs and Potts Camp on US 78, this community grew around an iron foundry in 1912. The foundry and community supported Mississippi's only iron mine. After three years, the foundry shut down and the town faded away. Today, it is a loose-knit rural community.|
|Wontierioniasiopolis||Community's name was changed to Brewton. See Brewton.|
|Woolworth||Woolworth was once a bustling town along the railroad between Brookhaven and Silver Creek. It happened to be a major stop for passengers. With the increased use of automobiles, roads were built that bypassed Woolworth. The sawmill closed. The train stopped running. Other businesses quickly followed.|
The only visible remains of Woolworth are the old general store and the old blacksmith shops, both of which are used by their owners for storage. The train depot was torn down. The boards from it were used after the demise of the town to build a home for Luke Smith. The floor beams in this house were the ceiling beams from the schoolhouse.
|Wyatt||Once a thriving community in the northwest corner of Lafayette County, it had fourteen businesses, including a hotel and Masonic Lodge. The town was established on the Tallahatchie River in 1836 and incorporated in 1838. The town was originally called Mitchell's Bluff. Today it is under the Sardis Reservoir.|
|Yale||Located in Itawamba County, northeast of Fulton, the community has faded away.|