|Ackia||Chickasaw Indian town near present-day Tupelo. The French attempted to attack this fortified community in May 1736, but were defeated. Actual battle site is in the Lee Acres community.|
|Fort Adams||Originally, a French mission was established here in 1698. In the 1780s a Spanish post called Roche à (Rock of) Davion was located here to actively deter the British. |
At one time identified as Post at Loftus Heights. This Federal blockhouse was near the international boundary with Spanish West Florida. The blockhouse was surrounded by an earthwork battery. From 1807 to 1810, to the east was the Cantonment Columbian Spring.
Wilkinburg was the original name of the community.
|Alibamu Indian FortLocated possibly in Oktibbeha County, on or near Line Creek, during the 1400s and 1500s, was a palisaded Alibamu Indian village. Hernando DeSoto visited the community in Apr 1541. The Spanish attacked the fort, but left because there was nothing they valued found in the area. A few on both sides lost their lives.|
|Fort Ann||See Fort Pemberton|
|Fort la Base||A French fort used about 1755 near present-day Lyman.|
|Fort Beauregard||Railroad Redoubt in Vicksburg was known as Fort Beauregard to Union forces.|
|Beauregard Line||A Confederate trench and rifle pit surrounding the town of Corinth|
|Big Black River Earthworks||Confederate earthworks built to protect the railroad crossing over the Big Black River in 1863 near Edwards.|
|Fort Biloxi||See Fort Maurepas|
|Camp Blythe||Located on the Monterey-Corinth Road following the Battle of Shiloh in 1862, this camp was part of the Confederate defenses around Corinth.|
|Fort Bogue||A Federal fort located near Ocean Springs which was used during the War of 1812.|
|Cantonment Columbian Spring||See Fort Adams|
|Camp Jefferson Davis||Located at East Pascagoula, this military post was used during the War with Mexico|
|Fort Greenwood||See Fort Pemberton|
|Camp Lawson||A military hospital camp located on Greenwood Island and used during the War with Mexico. The facilities were destroyed in an 1859 hurricane.|
|Fort LeFlore||See Fort Pemberton|
|Post at Loftus Heights||See Fort Adams|
|Lower Fort||See Fort Pemberton|
|Fort Maurepas||First established in 1699 by Paul Pierre LeMoyne, sieur d'Iberville. He was looking for a good place to establish a French colony along the Mississippi River. However, due to it's overflow, he was unable to locate a suitable location. Running low on supplies, he found what he felt was an acceptable location on the east side of Biloxi Bay in what is now Ocean Springs.|
The fort was also called Fort Bilocci and the camp was called Fort Maurepas. Maps drawn as late as 1710/1725 would label the fort as Fort Bilocci/Fort Biloxi.
The fort was originally built as four sided with bastions housing twelve guns at each corner. A stockaded moat provided additional protection. It also featured a barracks, bakery, warehouses, forge, and a magazine built completely of cut timber.
The fort was started 8 Apr 1699 and completely finished by the end of the month according to d'Iberville's journal. In May, d'Iberville left a small number of workmen and Canadians, including some soldiers and sailors, in total about 100 men, while he returned to France for provisions. He left M de Sauvolle de la Villantray as governor and de Bienville (his brother) was second in command. Although the purpose was to establish a colony, there were few members of the colony with any experience in sustainable agriculture and the colony never became self-sustaining.
When d'Iberville returned in January with supplies, he also brought instructions to breed the buffalo, search for pearls, evaluate the mulberry bush for possible silk, locate timber for ship building and to seek for mines. Much was done to explore the future state of Mississippi during this time.
In the meantime, the French had established forts and settlements in the Illinois area. Hearing about the new fort in the south, boatloads of Canadians began coming from the north. In the interests of France, d'Iberville was sent north with 20 men to establish fort to protect the copper mines of the Sioux Indians. In his absence, a request came for assistance in exploring the Missouri River. With de la Villantray dead (and many others as well) from yellow fever, de Bienville, with youthful enthusiasm, assisted in the explorations.
In September, members of the Choctaw tribe arrived commanding help in fighting the Chickasaw tribe.
In October, a shallop from Pensacola arrived with news that d'Iberville had arrived there. Bienville was ordered to relocate to the Mobile area, where he established a fort on the west side of the river named Fort of St Louis de la Mobile. He would later build a new fort on the side of the river where present day Mobile Alabama is called Fort Conde.
In 1702, the fort was abandoned when the capital was moved to the present day Mobile Area. In 1719, the capital was moved back to Old Biloxi from Mobile. Due to hurricanes and shifting sandbars blocking the harbor, the capital was moved across the bay to present day Biloxi. Afterwards, Fort Maurepas was burned and never rebuilt by the French.
In 1981, a replica fort was built near the original site (not on the original site as that is now private property). The replica was severely damaged from Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The park was rebuilt and rededicated in Oct 2009. However it contains no replica fort, weaponry or any interactive displays. It does contain a statue of d'Iberville.
|Middle Fort||See Fort Pemberton|
|Fort Moore||See Fort Pemberton|
|Fort Pemberton||Located near the community of Greenwood, this Confederate fort of cotton bales and logs held eight guns on the neck of land between the Tallahatchie and Yazoo Rivers. It was also known as Fort Greenwood. During the Vicksburg Campaign in 1863, the Confederates sunk the Star of the West here and blocked the Union advance through the Yazoo Pass.|
East on the Tallahatchie River were the Confederate forts of Fort Ann, Fort Moore and Fort Texas. Located near the confluence of the Tallahatchie and Yalobusha Rivers was the Confederate forts of Lower Fort, Middle Fort and Fort LeFlore.
|Post at Roche a Davion||See Fort Adams|
|Fort St Louis||See Fort Maurepas|
|Fort Texas||See Fort Pemberton|
Return to Mississippi Home Page
© 2013 - Present Ancestral Trackers & Jeanne Hicks This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated without consent. All rights reserved. Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited. The copyright(s) ©Ancestral Trackers, on this page must appear on all copied and/or printed material - when used with the permission of host.